Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day, Not Just for BBQs



Memorial Day, what does it mean? No really, take a second and think about it. What does it mean to you?

Some people might say oh it's a 3 or 4 day weekend where my family and I take a trip, or it's one of the times where we throw a big BBQ for all our friends. My response is, it is a time to remember and reflect those individuals who paid the ultimate price for the freedoms we so enjoy every day.

Almost 9 1/2 years ago I raised my right and repeated these words...

"I, (state your name), do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Every person who has enlisted has said these words at least once, every person who has come before me and that will come after me. It's pretty powerful stuff. When I attend a re-enlistment of someone who has decided to continue to wear the uniform, I get chills. The good kind of chills where I feel the love of country and the pride and honor in my service to my country. Many of us feel the same way, we don't think of it as a sacrifice it's our calling. Some people feel called to preach or teach or be lawyers (just a few examples), I was and still am called to be in the military. We don't ask anyone to thank us, for many like me we feel it's just what we do, it's our job. I'm not extraordinary because I'm in the military, I do it because I love it. I would deploy again in a heartbeat if my country asked me to, and I'd do it with pleasure.

Today, well really this weekend, I don't ask that you approach someone you know who is in the military and thank them for their service (unless you want to), but I do think that we all should recognize and reflect on what those who came before us gave in order to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States" so that we may live free today.



Yes, I had permission to take this picture during our squadron picture day.

No comments:

Post a Comment