Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Yaay for Air Conditioning!

Whew, it's been a HOT few days, and when I say hot I mean hot in every sense of the word.  One of the downsides to living in WA is that almost no one has A/C, except for businesses.  It makes life a little challenging when it's hotter in the house than out and I just don't know how people did it before A/C was invented.  Call me spoiled but boy do I need and thoroughly enjoy somewhere cool to rest my body after a hard days work.  I know, I know, I should be grateful for being home and not deployed in the heat and that I need to remember there are brothers and sisters in arms holding down the fort in some pretty nasty and horribly hot places.  Believe you, me, I do know and I think of them often.

So we acquired this portable A/C unit last night since every store is sold out of affordable A/C units.  When I got home with the A/C unit last night it was nearly 90ยบ inside the house!  I couldn't believe it, we were suffocating inside the house and our dogs were none to comfortable anywhere.  We were unable to cool the house before it became cooler outside than in so we opted to open the doors again and suck the cool air in with our floor fans and wait until early morning when my dear hubby went to work, he would then close up the house and turn the A/C unit on full blast and keep it going all day.  I came home to an amazingly comfortable home today, except for the fact that this A/C unit creates condensation in a catch pan somewhere in the unit that isn't removable!!  I got home and my hubby had gone through 4 towels trying to soak up the water that had been drained onto the carpet in our living room.  I don't care so much about the water, that's totally fixable and we can get a small carpet cleaner to suck the water out of the carpet but I was just flabbergasted at how much water had been soaked into the carpet.  Needless to say we moved the A/C unit to the hardwood dining room to continue to pump in cold air to keep us comfortable and thank goodness we did.  Not 15 minutes into dinner do I hear this gushing water sound, and I panic and when I get to the A/C unit I see it just shooting all this water out the back of it onto the floor.  I couldn't believe what I saw, it was just crazy!  Well the A/C unit is off for the night and we've decided that we won't run it tomorrow while we're at work because it's a short day.  Nick will go and get some tubing so the water can be pumped outside and we won't have to worry about a flood in the house anytime soon.

The last few days, even though it's been terribly hot I was able to get some sewing done.  I stopped by the Wild Rose quilt shop the other day and I purchased Carol Doaks 300 Paper Piece Pattern book and it came with a CD.  It's so awesome to have the CD because I can take blocks in the program and re size them to work for a particular project.  I was able to get 3 of my cornerstones done out of 12 I need for my Craftsy BOM quilt.  I'll post pictures soon but I don't have any as of yet.  I really enjoy paper piecing, it's fun and there's no reason to be precise when cutting fabric.  It's a good way to let loose with your design and have it flow from your project.

Well, I better head off to bed.  I can feel my eyelids growing heavy.  I'm excited to be working out at Stadium HS tomorrow morning for PT with some really great people, I'll need my rest cause I have a feeling tomorrow might be slightly exhausting.  In the coming weeks look for a Facebook page from me, I have to get all my ducks in a row for the page but I haven't had time to really sit down and play with what I want.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to chat soon!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment